Friday, October 18, 2013

Renie Anderson

Renie Anderson
By: Steven Gagliano

    After growing up on a farm in Morganfield, Kentucky, Renie Anderson has made the most of her opportunities her way to becoming the Senior Vice President of Sponsorship and Partnership Management for the NFL.

    After graduating from Ole Miss with a degree in Journalism, Anderson moved to California with the goal of writing for a newspaper. “I wanted be a writer and have a collection of romance and mystery novels” she said. Anderson worked for a temp agency in California before she was introduced to the commissioner of the Arena Football League, David Baker. She was hired to become his personal assistant.

    “He needed an assistant and I was desperate for a job’’ she said, “On my first day, he said three things: I need you to balance my checkbook, get my laundry, and call NFL owners to see if they want to buy AFL teams.’‘ she said. After four years on the job, Anderson began to take on much larger responsibilities including selling and managing the sponsors of the AFL.

    “I got to learn a little bit of everything, and had a great opportunity to learn about the business of sports.” she said. After leaving the AFL, Anderson interviewed with both the NBA and the NFL. “Ultimately it‘s where my passion lied and that was with the NFL” she said. “On Sundays, when you turn on a TV, that’s what I work for.” Anderson said when asked about her favorite part of her job with the NFL.

     Recently Anderson was named one of Sports Business Daily’s top sports executives under the age of 40. “It’s an honor to be recognized for the work that my team and I do. I hope I have the ability to lead by example and to inspire.” she said, “I still pinch myself, I’m from a town of 3,400 people and now I work on Park Ave. with the NFL, are you kidding me?” she said with a laugh.

    Anderson’s advice to those entering the work force is to do everything to the best of their ability. “Give it 110 percent everyday, why go into a job and do it halfway, thats boring” she said. After growing up in a town of 3,400 people, Anderson’s work for the NFL now touches more than 180 million fans. “I was always told no job is too small,” she said, “and I’ve walked through every open door.” Anderson has already accomplished so much and as she says “I know I look fabulous doing it.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment